Rail transport in Bangladesh started on 15 November 1862, when 53.11 km of 5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) (expansive check) line was opened between Darshana in Chuadanga District and Jogotee in Kushtia District. On 4 January 1885, a further 14.98 km 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) (meter measure) line was opened. In 1891, the Bengal Assam Railway was built with the help of the legislature. It was later kept running by the Bengal Assam Railway Company.
On 1 July 1895, two segments of meter measure railroad were developed by English railroad organizations. One associated Chittagong and Comilla (149.89 km). The other associated Laksam Upazila and Chandpur (50.89 km).
In 1947, at the season of the Partition of India, the Bengal Assam Railway was separated into two sections. The 2,603.92 km of track situated in East Pakistan, went under the control of the focal Government of Pakistan. On 1 February 1961, the Eastern Bengal Railway was renamed the “Pakistan Eastern Railway”. In 1962, control of the Pakistan Eastern Railway was exchanged to the Government of East Pakistan. On 9 June 1962, by request of the president, the Pakistan Eastern Railway administration was expected by a Railway Board.
In 2005, the aggregate length of the Bangladesh Railway was 2,855 km. There was 660 km of wide measure track (for the most part in the western area), 1,830 km of meter check track (for the most part in the focal and eastern areas) and 365 km of double measure track. In 1998, the Jamuna Bridge was worked to interface the already partitioned east and west rail arranges in double measure.
In 2010, subsidizing was gotten for an extension over the Titas River. In September 2010, the Government of Bangladesh affirmed ten rail advancement ventures costing 19·9 billion Bangladeshi taka including plans for new tracks and moving stock.
In 2011, Sheik Hasina Wazed, the Prime Minister of Bangledesh, directed toward the beginning of development of a connection which would cross a few waterways to achieve Cox’s Bazar. The 100 km of check line began from the railhead at Dohazari, southeast of Chittagong. The arrangement was to achieve Satkania, Dulahazra, Chakarin, Edgaon, Ramu and Cox’s Bazar, with four noteworthy waterway spans and a 28 km branch from Ramu to Gundum. In 2013, the Chittagong Circular Railway was finished.
In 2015, development of a 15 km branch to Agartala, Tripura in Northeast India commenced. In 2017, arrive procurement occurred to encourage the development.